November 10, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Whipped Chocolate Frosting


OK, I admit, I got the idea for these cupcakes from the  SkinnyTaste recipe for pumpkin-spiced cupcakes. It's a fantastic recipe, but last night, I was in the mood for chocolate.

I hit the grocery store with every intention of purchasing No-Pudge Brownie Mix to satiate my craving only to find that my grocery store doesn't carry the product. I was in too much of a hurry to go to another of the billion grocery stores in the D.C. metro region, so I pouted and contemplated buying a different type of brownie... like possibly those Ghirardelli ones with triple the chocolate, fudge topping, and a billion calories.

That's when I remembered the SkinnyTaste recipe and thought "I wonder if it'll work with chocolate." A quick comparison of the cake mix boxes showed that the nutrition information was the same so.... I gave it a shot.

All you need to make the cake portion of these cupcakes are three ingredients:
a 15-oz box of Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake mix
1 cup of pumpkin (not pie mix - just pumpkin!)
and 1 cup of water

However, I am too lazy and too broke to make my own frosting. Plus, let's face it... I really wanted a finger-full of REAL frosting...straight from the jar. Fortunately, Betty Crocker also makes these whipped frostings (including chocolate!) that are only 100 calories (or 2 PointsPlus for those of us on Weight Watchers) for 2 whole tablespoons.

Ingredients in hand, I set out to test the recipe. (Note: I apologize for the crummy pictures; they'll have to suffice until I can get a better camera. I'm on a budget you know!)

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Whipped Chocolate Frosting

Serving Size: 1 Cupcake and 1 TBS Frosting
WW Points Plus: 3 Points+ With Frosting, 2 P+ Without Frosting
Calories: 120

Ingredients
15oz package of Betty Crocker Super-Moist Devil's Food Cake mix
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix - JUST pumpkin)
1 cup water
Betty Crocker Whipped Chocolate Frosting

Directions

Combine the cake mix, canned pumpkin, and water in a bowl



Mix the cake mix, water, and pumpkin together until ingredients are thoroughly combined and smooth.


Spoon the mix into a cupcake pan lined with paper cupcake liners


Bake  at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove cupcakes and allow to cool



Once the cupcakes are cooled, top each with 1 TBS of the whipped chocolate frosting.

ENJOY!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment